28 December, 2003

Viqueens C-H-O-K-E

The Packers pulled it off - with a little help from Arizona. Mike Sherman oughta send everyone on the Cards a 10lbs wedge of cheese in thanks. I called my brother, who is a Vikings fan but got Andy, his roommate. Unfortunately, Andy was on the other line so I asked him to have Carl call me back but was told that he refused to do so and called me a name. Ah, filial love.

OK, now I'm pissed. Camille Paglia is on C-SPAN2. The host asked her for her thoughts on Michael Moore. She replied that, while she generally agreed with his political views, she found his use of a staged scene in Bowling for Columbine disagreeable and thought that only "truth" belonged in documentaries. Ya know, Ms. Paglia, you have no idea what a documentary is and are completely oblivious to the fact that staged scenes have been used in documentaries virtually since the beginning of cinema. This is not to say that every single documentary style includes such but, traditionally, fictional scenes have been used by documentarians for decades to serve non-fictional narratives. It's good to know that someone who earns a living, in part, by commenting on the media has no idea how an important bit of it works. Let's send Camille Paglia back in time to tell some of the pioneers of documentary filmmaking, like Vertov and Flaherty, her view on how documentaries ought to be made. I swear, the more feminist diatribes I read, the less I feel that I will ever find a feminist with whom I agree to any significant degree.

Why are there no feminist writers out there who can make a cohesive, logical argument based on facts that she understands? Christ, other than images of women, feminists seem to have no idea how the media works. Fuck, and I only have a modicum of understanding, at best. How is it that a dumbass like me can pick out logical fallacies, lies, non sequiturs, inconsistencies, etc. in the works of academics? Doesn't our society train polemicists to actually know of what they speak and how to speak before they are allowed to speak?

No comments: