25 January, 2004

Media Bias?

Now I've found something interesting. Book TV is having a debate about media bias. On the right is author Laura Ingraham and CNN lackey Tucker Carlson. On the left are Al Franken and a guy from City University of New York. I will say that I love Carlson's bow tie. And he is a fucking cock. I hate him but I probably hate him because we argue the same way. If I were in his shoes, I'd be saying the same stuff. I am so jealous of his tie!

It's a nice, spirited debate and, having majored in communication arts in college, it's right up my alley. To me, the mass media here in the U.S. is skewed to the right. But perhaps the larger problem is that, to me, is the banality of much of the news. It frustrates me to no end that something like Princess Diana's death is endlessly researched so that people know the most menial details like what the driver at for lunch that day. But for many issues that affect us more greatly - such as Supreme Court cases, taxes, and the like - things that are going to have a direct effect on you. Your pocketbook, how your children are educated, what is in the food you eat, the quality of the air you breathe, the health care you will receive, and so on.

Is news around the rest of the world so horrid? Do you folks in other countries have news shows that lead with concepts such as "Bennifer"?

No comments: