10 July, 2004

Celebration

Well, my cultural activities were curtailed yesterday as I did something to my back. Dunno what - I must have twisted somehow and threw a vertebra out of whack. Walking is a whole lotta no fun right now. When I awoke, I noticed that the answering machine had some new messages so I listened to them. The last one was from my mother and, from her tone of voice, I could tell that things were not well in Chicago.

"I have some sad news for you..."

My great uncle Harry passed away yesterday afternoon. I called my mom back and found that there was still no word on when a memorial service might be held so I await word on that. Just not the way I wanted my weekend to begin. It's such a gorgeous morning - sunny yet temperate. I love mornings like this because the day seems so pregnant with possibility. As if anything could be accomplished and happiness was at my doorstep.

For now, I am going to go to the credit union and deposit my paycheck. Hopefully that strawberry blonde will be working again. I saw her yesterday when was at another branch but wasn't lucky enough to have her as my teller. But, as I walked out the door, I ran into Dogger and Marv who were at the ATM. We ended up going to a gaming shop that opened recently down on Willy Street. I bought a Player's Handbook and, since Marv's birthday was earlier this week, I got him the Monster Manual II, albeit against my better judgement. This means that our party will surely run into even more foul and heinous creatures. The store had a selection of daggers and swords behind glass but there was also a nice little halberd sitting in the corner. It was only $40! I may just have to buy it so I can mount it in my den someday. Or at least in the basement when I move my books and computer down there.

After that, I dunno what to do. Probably do some writing. I am sooo far behind. Maybe I can get Marv over here so he can ply his VBA programming trade. I want to have a database for my bootleg collection. Probably laundry too. My sheets smell like sweat and other bodily fluids.

My father's birthday is in about a month. Still haven't taken any time out alone to look at pictures and such.

I also have some CDs to burn. Some of my musical taste is rubbing off on The Dulcinea, much to my surprise, and she has requested some tunes by various bands. I've burned some Yes and Jethro Tull for her already and Son Volt, Genesis, and Fish are next.

I just feel so sullen. The prospect of having to attend a funeral and deal with grieving family is not fun. This means I'll have to make love with The Dulcinea. And I don't mean this in a sarcastic or silly way. What is more positive, more life-affirming than sex? It's a celebration of life. My father and great uncle are gone but I'm still alive. I ought to celebrate.

No comments: