20 July, 2004

Office Droning

This morning has been very slow. Hellaciously so. I’ve been here 45 minutes and taken only one call. Of course, now that I write this, we’ll be inundated but so it goes.

Last night was slothy. I ate dinner and watched Rob Roy. What a fucking great flick! Liam Neeson was good’n’all, but it was Tim Roth and John Hurt who stole the show. Roth as Archibald was classic! He was so weasely and evil and…he does a great Gary Oldman impression. And Hurt as Montrose – the best insults. It was funny how the film seemed to portray Scots as a bunch of honorable and extremely horny people. Rob and Mary were very naughtyAfter that, I set Agent to download some stuff which I cannot remember right now. I know I snagged a slew of e-books and audio books but I can’t recall which ones. Oh! There were a buncha Mark Twain stories involved – I remember that much. We’ll see when I get home. Then Tyrone came over. He borrowed some money from me and wrote some company checks. With monetary matters done, we sat around for a while and chewed the fat.

He first told me that Jim, a business partner of ours, had made some stupid comments after he was told that we’re gonna join MAGNET, an LGBT business networking organization. (Tyrone is gay, you see.) Apparently Jim said crap like, “As long as they know we only fix computers” and “…unless they’re 2 lesbians…”. Um…yeah. The next thing Tyrone tells me is that he’s gonna be an uncle again. Just not via his sister-in-law. His brother has been having an affair with a friend’s wife and now she’s pregnant. The cuckolded hubby is a man of little character as he beats his kids and his wife as well, presumably. Anyway, Tyrone wants to adopt his nephew as his brother is being divorced and the kid will have a complete fuck-up for a father and likely be beaten. Tyrone is as married as gay folks can be in this state to a nice guy named Andy. I was at their “wedding”. Andy works as a teacher/day care person (I dunno these job titles.) Tyrone has a good job. And their hound, Max, is a fun-loving black Lab. So, in many ways, they’re a good fit for adoption. The only problem is the fact that they’re gay and they worry that this will count against them in the application process. I’ve emailed Ronaldo as he kinda sorta works in this area to find out if he knows of any resources or anyone who can offer advice.

After Tryone left, I caught most of a documentary on the Sundance Channel called Detained. The film profiles the lives of 4 Palestinian women living in Hebron on the West Bank. There were some interesting bits such as the extreme ambivalence of these women towards the Jews. In one interview, they’ll say that they don’t hate the Jews and just want everyone to lead good lives. Then, when Israeli soldiers station themselves on the roof of the women’s apartment building and urinate on the roof, leave messes, etc., the interviews turn sour and the womyn curse, not only the soldiers, but Jews generally. Asking God to kill them all and the like. But other parts of the film bog down. The womyn bitch about being widows and then bitch about their husbands. That got old really quickly. Overall, though, it was a good film and I got a glimpse into a world about which I know virtually nothing.

In other news, The Dulcinea wants to do some cooking this week. We’ll see when. I have this weird feeling that I’ve committed myself to doing something with someone tonight but have no idea who or what. Tomorrow we’re gonna see Life of Brian and then I go to The Pollack’s on Thursday to get his new laptop up and running.

I’m getting fairly serious about putting up my own web page. I keep telling myself to do so but I never seem to actually contact a hosting service. And I also keep telling myself to take pictures of stuff to post on this website but I never do. This weekend I hope to find motivation. Get some snaps of the farmer’s market and some from the boat while I’m out on the lakes. Perhaps some of the coffeeshops and various places of interest around town. Anything you regular readers can think of?

No comments: