23 September, 2004

My Ancestors Were Monkeys

How in the name of fuck do you use QuickPAR? I downloaded an episode of Doctor Who (Ghost Light) and one of the files is missing a section. I ran it thinking I knew what in the name of Jehovah I knew what I was doing and it ended up deleting my damaged file. So I must download it again.

I spent the night at Miss Rosie's place in Janesville. I cooked dinner for her and Miss Gina while they provided the cocktails. I wasn't in the mood for drinking much and was, quite honestly, keen on writing, listening to tunes, and just generally being anti-social. But I managed to eek out a pretty good time despite all this.

I received a lovely email from The Pollack tonight. The subject line read something akin to, "I hate fucking computers". He said that he's unable to open .sim and .dat files. Dat files are the html data your email client refuses to show and I've fucking clue as to what .sim files are. A web search revealed that it may have something to do with PowerDVD but I dunno. Well, he's in Cedar Rapids so he'll have to make to with a phone instead of a house call. Then again, those are actually worse that doing it in person because he'll right-click and select some fucked-up option from the context menu and his laptop will implode. Have you noticed that every fucking application adds options to context menus? You can right-click on a piece of shit and 40 programs will offer their services to compress, decompress, edit, open, decode, encode, enqueue, play it - or generate a checksum for it or add it to a playlist or convert it to PDF, print, or email it. Do Linux users have this issue?

I don't wanna brag but my tomato/cucumber salad turned out very well despite the balsamic vinegar being sweet. Does this make me sound like a gastronomic snob? It never ceases to amaze me how a man on the Adkins Diet (ie - Stevie) will buy good ingredients for meals he never prepares. He buys quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar, for instance, but never dares use them.

Alrighty, so I download the miscreat RAR file, repair it, and decode my video - all without a single right-click, I might add. Then I make the mistake of right-clicking on it to open it with WinDVD and of course it's nowhere to be found in the menu. My installation of Winamp 5 today has made it the default opener of everything excepting text files, which I find extremely annoying. And why in the name of fuck does the new Winamp look leave a 16MB footprint? Sure, I've got a gig of RAM so it's no biggie - what really irritated me was the media library. It has 18 panes and requires Alan Turing to assemble a playlist. Why does the Remove button on the Playlist window have submenus? And the little fucker goes out to the Net without my permission to retrieve information about albums that I already know and in much more detail. I suppose if I installed a firewall again I could remedy this but I'm lazy. I was using Zone Alarm 5.something-or-other but it started putting zeros at the beginning of yEnc encoded messages making them indecipherable to Forte Agent. Plus it blocked searches in DC++. I dare not enable the Windows firewall. My PC doesn't have SP2 so it's a half-baked measure. Although my laptop has SP2 installed and has suffered no ill effects other than potentially fucking up the MDAC components (but I cannot prove this), I find the Security Center to be utterly annoying. So I disabled it.

Fuck - what I meant to bitch about was the fact that the guy who ripped the DVD fucked up the DivX encoding as the commentary track is audible so I can't fucking hear the dialog! Ghostlight is one of my favorite episodes too. You've got this creepy Victorian mansion owned by a Josiah Smith who is having the Reverend Ernest Matthews over to debate evolution. (Their discussion is loosely based on the famous debate on the same topic between Thomas Huxley and Bishop Wilberforce.) And you've also got a Neanderthal for a servant and the maids are freaky and there's something odd in the basement...

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. I was at A Woman's Touch to buy a CD and I was patiently standing in line as the clerk looks around the back of the store for a velvet bag to place this expensive glass dildo a guy in a dress shirt & tie has just purchased. And there's these two hot blondes running around like kids in a candy store. They're checking out vibrator speeds and debating the merits of purple vs. green dildos. The problem here is that they were hot and I was horny. I nearly pitched a tent watching them checking out the vibrators. Sorry, but the scene of beautiful womyn clutching vibrators goes straight from a man's optic nerves to the part of the brain which controls the penis and activates it. Plus the clerks were good-looking as well. The blonde was cute but the one with the long brown hair was fucking gorgeous. While I may have designs on womyn at a benefit for a rape crisis center, not even I would hit on a fraulein who works at a sex positive sexuality resource center toy store joint. It just seems so uncouth.

I have a job interview set for Wednesday. Should be amusing. The recruiter said they'd pay for my A+ tests so that'd save me a couple hundred smackaroos. What else? IBM called this evening which means something is amiss with my father's business. Christ, he's been dead for over 6 months now. Accounts have been dissolved, paperwork shuffled - what in the name of Hades could they want now?

No comments: