20 October, 2004

We Will Not Have an All-Volunteer Army

Work went fairly well today. Business was on the brisk side so I got the opportunity to meet some folks whom I only knew by name. Plus I got to chat a bit with Chuck, a guy with whom I worked at the DOC. Speaking of which, a case came my way which had been appended by Ben Bordelon, Chuck and my former boss. Overall, it was a pretty mellow day and I barely got started on Quicksilver. Oddly enough, they’ve decided to give us some training tomorrow. Here we are in the middle of our third week and now they decide that we need some formal direction. Gotta love the state.

The day was also nice in that I found myself in the company of blondes most of the day who were extremely easy on the eyes. A couple in the AM at Ancora followed by running into one very peripatetic hottie at work. We had a firedrill which gave me ample opportunity to glimpse my co-workers en masse. People even roughly my age are few and far between, though there is this big little baby who’s about 6’5” with long, dark hair. Christ, working my way up her legs to her honeypot would take a year or more. Fuck, starting out at any end of her going towards the honeypot would take ages. Luckily I am a patient kinda guy.

I made the mistake late in the day to pop over to the Isthmus forum. Much to my surprise, one fellow admitted that he was listening to a live rendition of The Lam Lies Down On Broadway. He was then assailed by a couple folks including Prof. Wagstaff who is, in my humble opinion, an arsenugget. And people think I’m a snob. At first I was extremely irritated but I soon mellowed out. In his honor, I’ve put on a nice Genesis gig and you can find out more by clicking on the album cover to the right.

Continuing in the musical vein, I must admit that Bill Malone’s book has gotten very interesting. It’s a bit like listening to a couple month’s worth of his radio show but, as John Madden would say, different. Each chapter takes a different element of the music and relates it to the life of Southern working class folk. Exempli gratia - a chapter on religion in country music. In it, he details the music’s appropriation of religion and how it is expressed. He also comments on the musicians’ use of it as well as the general tenor of religion amongst the people of the South. It’s a fairly quick read and it’s fun to see mention of songs with which I am familiar and find their histories and the social contexts from which they sprang or became popular. I think that, once I’m done with it, I shall continue with the music theme and read The Power of Black Music. That might get me some respect. I say this as people who’ve seen me toting Malone’s text around at work and at Ancora flash dismissive glances at both the book and me.

I’m downloading some lectures right now. One is a history of the U.S. Supreme Court, another about jazz, while the last is entitled “Creating Humans”. The latter has an amusing title but very serious subject matter, namely, method of becoming pregnant besides coitus, abortion, genetic tampering, and human life generally.

If any undecided voters and/or Republicans are reading, please go see Mistress Lola. A glace at her blog reveals that she is in need of s-e-x.

While the chili I just stirred is not my best ever, it ranks high in the heartiness category. A good douche of hot sauce and some käse and we’ll be fine.

No comments: