18 November, 2004

Descartes, I Squish You!

I keep forgetting to send my bootleg trade list to this guy from Italy who e-mailed me his. He's got some neat stuff. There's this Art Ensemble of Chicago gig from 1972 which caught my attention as well as a soundboard Gentle Giant gig from 1973. "Knots" and "Advent of Panurge" live are really powerful, at least the versions I've heard. Must remember to get that list to him tonight.

Last night The Pollack mentioned that he wanted to do a PollackFest on the weekend of December 18th. PollackFest is when we get together and make pierogi and drink a lot of bourbon. This reminded me that I still haven't been out to the Polish deli on Monroe. This weekend, this weekend. I don't have any plans for the weekend since Marv will be busy so we won't be gaming. I think I should get my arse in gear and do some things Polish. I'll rent a Poilsh flick, get some Polish food, and listen to Polish music. Just try and immerse myself in the culture for a day. I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be difficult to find Polish films around here but at least I know there'll always be some Krystof Kieslowski to be had. And perhaps I can buy a Penderecki CD or something.

A little while ago, I went upstairs to the Office of Legal Council to work on someone's computer. So I walk in the door only to find a couple womyn dressed in togas sitting at their desks. Unfortunately the hot young blonde didn't follow the lead of the older womyn and remove her shirt for the costume. But it did allow me the opportunity to put my 8 years of Latin to use - I greeted them with, "Salve amici", which is Latin for "Hello friends".

I heard a rumor out in the parking lot that several people in my bureau were given pink slips today. It is, of course, unverified but I don't find it at all difficult to believe that the axe is dropping. Jimmy Doyle wants to save money and so many groups are being merged with the DOA. Everyone's worst fears seem to be coming true.

If anyone is keen on a quickie Western philosophy lesson, check out Squashed Philosophers.

I'm off to lunch...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you can help me get back to my Polish roots as well.......Pollackfest sounds enchanting!
-crystal