19 April, 2005

Callipygian Figures Hither and Yon

I've started a new Doctor Who audio drama - The Genocide Machine. I have a particularly geeky fascination for it as it takes place in a library, Kar-Charrat. It is located in a jungle and the sound of the rain is very relaxing when listening to it on headphones. Lends an interesting atmosphere to the tale. I also read that Big Finish has been given permission to continue making the dramas until 2008. Good news!

I spent some time tinkering with Audacity and Sound Forge yesterday in my hasty attempt at throwing together a podcast on music. I've got the basics down but can't figure out how to gradually lower the volume of a wav file and then bring it back up again. I can lower the volume but it takes effect immediately instead of a gradual reduction. Oh well. I can adapt, I guess. My idea was to do a little hoolie on Son Volt. I'd give a brief intro and play some of their older tunes culled from shows I've collected, of course, and then play a show of theirs from last month which features material from their new album. I'd like to do a podcast like this for Porcupine Tree as well as I recently got a copy of a gig they did about 3 weeks ago which features new material from their as yet unreleased-in-the-US album, Deadwing. I fear that I won't get it done in time, though.

I see that one can buy Genesis songs individually. Harumph. The files are Windows Media Audio and are DRM'd. Sorry guys. Give me FLAC or give me death! Let's see here...The next 3 Jethro Tull remasters are due soon: Broadsword and the Beast, Under Wraps, and Crest of a Knave. Nothing really special as far as bonus tracks go but I'm keen to know what they did to transmogrify "Astronomy" into "Astronomy 2004". At least they throw in the video for "Lap of Luxury". Unfortunately, not all the Broadsword leftovers are present; just the ones from the 20th anniversary box set. I had a slight hope that "DJ" and/or "Dinosaur" would end up on it. Actually, Tull had more leftovers from the Broadsword sessions than songs appearing on the album itself. And as a complement to an earlier entry with musicians' rants on the music industry comes this tidbit from Tony Levin:

"And, friends have told me they've heard of a new Tony Levin cd being issued this month. I want to point out that it is nothing to do with the new music I've been working on for so long - I think it's mostly re-releases of old tracks - and nothing I approve of. Isn't the music business amazing - so many great artists trying to get their music released, and there are companies putting out music the artist doesn't want released!" (emphasis added by moi)

Tonight I plan on making potato salad and cucumber salad. I'd contemplated stopping at the store on the way home to get some grillin' flesh but it's getting really windy out. Methinks we're gonna get some rain this evening. Still, it is pretty warm out yet. Along the lines of spring - am I the only one getting horny at the drop of a hat? Womyn are wearing less clothes so my head is constantly turning to gawk at an ass here and a set of boobs there. I've lost all compunction about eyeing up teenage girls and gladly do the same to middle aged fraus. I eyed a couple teenage girls making their way to school this morning with bad intent and rationalized this by labeling them "pre-coeds". Ah, the power of language.

No comments: