20 December, 2005

Kibosh Put On Rothschild Speech

Progressive editor Matthew Rothschild was recently told that his invititation to give a brief speech to some local high school kids had been rescinded. He relayed the incident in an e-mail to subscribers to The Progressive's e-mail newsletter:

Dear Friend:

Get ready for some irony.

I was supposed to give a ten-minute speech to a local high school class at a nearby theater, right before the students were going to see the movie on McCarthyism "Good Night and Good Luck."

But just two days before, I was notified by the teacher who had invited me that the principal had cancelled my talk! The principal had "demanded to know where you fell on the political spectrum," the mortified teacher told me.

So it goes, as Kurt Vonnegut says.


Any locals know from which high school the principal hails?

No comments: