17 January, 2008

The Last I Ever Want to Write About Ron Paul

Yesterday I wrote a bit about why Ron Paul could never get my vote. If there were any more reasons needed, then Paul's general attitude towards science and his stance on evolution is surely one of them:

"Well, at first I thought it was a very inappropriate question, you know, for the presidency to be decided on a scientific matter, and I think it's a theory, a theory of evolution, and I don't accept it, you know, as a theory, but I think [ it probably doesn't bother me. It's not the most important issue for me to make the difference in my life to understand the exact origin. I think ] the creator that I know created us, everyone of us, and created the universe, and the precise time and manner, I just don't think we're at the point where anybody has absolute proof on either side. [So I just don't . . . if that were the only issue, quite frankly, I would think it's an interesting discussion, I think it's a theological discussion, and I think it's fine, and we can have our . . . if that were the issue of the day, I wouldn't be running for public office."]

Asking about a candidate's stance on the teaching of evolution is not deciding the presidency on a scientific matter. What kind of nonsense is that? Gauging scientific literacy and willingness to deny fact are perfectly valid criteria for judging the fitness of a candidate. And it's not "a theory", it's "The Theory".

Also check out this post by Skip Oliva:

~~ Ron Paul believes women’s bodies are the property of the state.
~~ Ron Paul will use federal power to prevent families that don’t match the structure of his own from living in freedom.
~~ Ron Paul would rather orphan children than allow them to have two loving parents.
~~ He may not talk about it openly, but Ron Paul is carrying out the agenda of fundamentalist Christians.
~~ Ron Paul opposes individual rights for anyone who has a different cultural background than his own.
~~ Ron Paul opposes the protection of individual rights through the courts.
~~ Ron Paul will allow state and local governments to violate any individual rights in the name of protecting “federalism” and the sacrosanct Constitution.


I haven't seen any Ron Paul signs being held up on the Beltline pedestrian overpass lately. Where have the supporters gone?

No comments: