06 February, 2008

Winterfesting



To answer Emily's question, why yes more of us were downtown last weekend for WinterFest. The Dulcinea, M, and myself met up with Dogger and Miss Regan to explore the winter wonderland. We began by locating the hot dog and coffee stands before heading over to watch a guy making an ice sculpture. In the process I think I stepped in from of Ms. Mills as she was attempting to take photos of her own. Oops!





A Makita?! Why is he not using a Husqvarna?!





I wasn't really aware that there was a WinterFest. Presumably I've been at trivia competitions or elsewhere in early February. M wasn't keen on doing much other than playing in snow mounds, so it was up to Miss Regan to give things a go.





There was also snow sculpting but it seems the sculptors were disallowed the use of the nice white fluffy stuff that had fallen that morning. Instead they were apparently left to forage for whatever was at the curb. Still, their creations were pretty neat.





I had no idea that one of the sculptors was an insane cultist who reveled in creating likenesses of eldritch gods.

After some hot dogs, we then made our inaugural trip to Fromagination.



While a French-speaking woman ahead of me ordered some brie and thereby became a living stereotype for this ignorant American, I got a chance to drool over cheese with cocoa rubbed into the rind as well as take an in-depth look at some Swiss.





The store also carried wines, crackers, and other companions with which cheese is found. This includes the largest selection of Vosges Chocolates that I've seen in town. Much to my disappointment, the Bacon Bar was not to be had. I procured some Maytag bleu and a wedge of Winsleydale Cheddar with Caramelised Onion. I've had the Maytag before as my father was a bleu cheese addict and he used to buy a wheel once a year or so. But the Winsleydale was fantastic as well.

At $20/pound or thereabouts for these cheeses, Fromagination is not going to be a regular destination for me. They have lunch kits with cheese, nuts, et al that go for $9. I hope the condo owners, Capitol big whigs, and turophiles go for that stuff because I'd like to have Fromagination around on those odd occasions when I can afford the good stuff.

2 comments:

Brad V said...

Fromagination looks fun - do you think it's distinct enough in selection and price range to stand in a different league from Wisconsin House of Cheese?

From your shots, comments, and the site, I would think it does, which is great, since I've long been a fan of of the people, service, and products at WHOC.

Skip said...

I haven't been to WHoC in ages. I'd say that Fromagination is more upscale. WHoC is more of a place to get yourself some good standard WI cheddar whereas Fromag is about buying imported cheeses/highly expensive artisanal things. So I do think they are trying to appeal to different markets or, at least, aren't appealing to exactly the same niches.