22 July, 2008

Should I Bring My Orgone Accumulator to Class?

I received my course catalog for the UW's continuing education program yesterday and perused it this morning. I was happy to see some more interesting music and history courses with which I can feed my brain. Then, much to my dismay, I discovered that the UW is peddling Newage. There are a couple courses taught by one Beverly Crane.



Her bio is interesting for what it leaves out and how little is tells us. It begins with noting that Ms. Crane "has a PhD in humanities with subspecialties in psychology and anthropology". A PhD in humanities? The whole thing? Her "subspecialities" are very specific fields but her PhD is described with only the most broad term. What, does she have a degree in English Lit?

It continues: "she gained research experience at Harvard University and teaching experiences at universities and educational institutions in both the United States and Europe". She apparently didn't graduate from Harvard but it's always nice to put such a prestigious name in there. What kind of research did she do there? What did she teach and where? And what are these anonymous "educational institutions" referred to here?

Go the listing of mental health workshops and check out the bios of the other instructors. They are much more specific.

Ms. Crane will be facilitating two courses (two that I noticed, anyway):

"The Language of the Soul"

"Exploring the Energy Dimension"

Soul communication often goes unperceived largely because it is transmitted energetically through the right side of the brain using metaphor, symbol and association rather than the literal and linear processes of logic, categorization and cause and effect that we have studied in school. The language of the soul is multidimensional and multilayered. It follows quantum rules and is holographic in scope.

That sounds like something Alan Sokal would be proud of. I'd love to know if Ms. Crane knows anything whatsoever about quantum mechanics. When you hear New Agers invoking the word "quantum", beware! Such people generally know absolutely nothing of what they speak and are sometimes prone to be members of a cult which makes really awful films.

The human energy field is an aspect of each of us that affects everything we do. Long held to be an actual physical fact in eastern culture, most people in the western world are just beginning to notice this subtle dimension of reality.

Upon what evidence does the author of this description make his/her claim? What scientific studies show the existence of this "human energy field"? Hasn't Wilhelm Reich and orgone already been discredited?

Ms. Crane is also a believer in synchronicity – a star fall, a phone call, it joins all – synchronicity. So you can pay her money for her to explain these supposed "meaningful coincidences". Perhaps she suffers from apophenia.

Skeptical as I am, I'll remain open-minded. I've sent an e-mail to the program coordinator and await a reply. But your bullshit detector's warning klaxon should be doing defcon 3. And, if you believe in a collective conscious, synchronicity, human energy fields, etc. please – tell me why. How did you come to believe these things? Do you use the word "quantum" in describing any of your ideas? Talk to me because I'd love to understand.

No comments: