17 October, 2008

Universal Health Care Is a Long, Long Way Away

Earlier at work today I was given some instruction on how to record meetings, conferences, and the like for webcasting. My instructor and friend showed me the equipment as I helped him setup for a lecture. He pulled out one of the microphones and placed it on a table. "It is a directional mic and very sensitive," he warned.

To illustrate just how sensitive it was, he told me the story of a meeting he recorded for the Division of Public Health. It was a gathering of DPH, various health officials from around the state, and big whigs from various private companies in the area such as American Family Insurance, Dean Health, and the like. The topic was a state initiative called Healthiest Wisconsin 2010 and how to transition it to Healthiest Wisconsin 2020.

Participants were warned not to chat with one another as they would likely be picked up by the microphones. One big whig from the private sector did not heed the warning and decided to whisper a remark to the person sitting next to him. He said something close to, "This is bullshit. My job is to make money for the shareholders."

I think, but am not sure, that you can find the webcast with the offending comment at this page.

I am reminded of the quote by Dr. John Geyman that I referred to a couple weeks ago:

The problem is the private insurance industry itself…It cares more about its shareholders than its enrollees or patients.

Want universal health care? Don't hold your breath.

No comments: