10 November, 2008

Don't Know Much About Geography

Mireille Soria and Mark Swift need a geography lesson. Soria and Swift are the producers of the new film Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa which, I hear, did some pukka box office this past weekend despite its stupid name.



Above is a map of the continent of Africa. Notice how Madagascar is part of Africa.

HELLO! MCFLY!!

Would we say "England: Escape to Europe" or "Key West: Escape to Florida"?! Is Africa still so dark a continent that Americans can't understand 5th grade geography? One working title of the film was Madagascar: The Crate Escape - why not keep that instead of a title that projects such gross ignorance?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, I don't know that I'd get that excited about it. I guess I would consider Madagascar it's own thing. I mean Greenland is technically part of North America, but I wouldn't freak out if someone didn't know that. I guess the question would be do the Africans consider Madagascar to be part of Africa? Otherwise you're just peddling white European notions of geography.