13 November, 2008

They Cling to More Than Their Guns

Apparently the memo about Obama's election making this country "post-racial" didn't reach northern Michigan where Hampel's Key and Lockshop, which also traffics in firearms, flew the American flag upside down. And why would the shop do this?

"(The inverted flag is) an international signal for distress and we feel our country is in distress because the n----- got in," said Hampel's employee Rod Nyland, of Traverse City.

This story got some press in the Michigan Messenger and a few days later it reported that Nyland had been fired and apologized for the episode.

Personally that sounds like insincere damage control to me. I am really to believe that the owners of the store were blissfully unaware that they had this rogue racist of an employee flying the flag upside down? Come on! Nyland worked there for 25 years so I find it difficult to believe that he was fired because he thought of Obama as a nigger, but rather because he was honest with a reporter.

(h/t to Ed Brayton.)

2 comments:

Joe Walts said...

Traverse city wasn't like that before it became a suburb of the suburbs of Detroit.

Skip said...

I'm sorry to hear that. I like that area. While I've never been to Traverse City, I have been as far as Luddington.

Thanks for chiming in.