04 December, 2008

Hope For the Central Library Remains

I was pleased to read yesterday that a second proposal for a new Madison Central Library is on the table. It comes from Fiore Companies and it looks like this:



I've written previously of my dissatisfaction with T. Wall's proposal which would give the library three floors in nine-story mixed-use building. By contrast, Fiore envisions the six-story structure above which would be dedicated to the Central Library. The library is one part of a larger plan for the block which includes renovating the existing library building for retail, office space, or a hotel.

Personally I find the Fiore building to be unexciting from an aesthetic point of view. It looks like a generic apartment complex from a typical bland gentrification scheme to me. How about a cornice to make it interesting? Combine the first and second floors so you have a clerestory. When I walk into a library, I want to feel like I'm entering a temple to the knowledge and cultures of the human race, not feel like I'm walking into a suburban shopping mall. I would prefer something a bit more gothic. You know, a building a medieval monk going to work in a scriptorium would find inviting. Failing this, neo-classical would be my next choice. But beggars can't be choosers so I'm prepared to take whatever comes along for the library if it promises a stand-alone facility.

This is not to say the current library is an architectural masterpiece. However, I do like the little courtyard at the front entrance and I think it makes for a more pleasant view from the Overture Center than T. Wall's proposed building, pictured here:



I will say, though, that it doesn't look atrocious or, at least the rounded glass bit doesn't. Still, I have to wonder why modern architecture means adorning the windows of a building with more windows. Where have all the lintels and friezes gone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that the first two styles I'd most like to see in a library are:

1. Gothic
2. Neo-Classical


Agreed.

yours,

C. Ward

Skip said...

Unfortunately, C. Ward, I don't see our favorite styles in the library's future.

Forward Our Motto said...

Agreed with your comments on T.Wall's proposal.

I kind of like the windows in Fiore's design, I can just imagine a bustling scene of activity. Whatever gets done for the library, my only desire for the architecture is that it's interesting. So functional and a little unique. I'm flexible on style, but I just think it would be great if it became an architectural landmark. Like, when someone was visiting Madison, you'd tell them, "Oh, you should check out the Central Library downtown, the building itself is kinda cool."

Skip said...

I don't despise the Fiore design; it just seems rather plain and boring to me. It lacks any ornamentation. I agree that it would be neat if it were architecturally unique and a draw for visitors but that's not going to happen. The city is sitting back looking at the plans of developers instead of being proactive and approaching people to help it plan.