31 December, 2008

Thoughts From Hogmanay '08

Hogmanay is cruising to an end. My friend Pete will be going out to get cold tomorrow morning (i.e. - hunting) and may very well end up being our first footer so we're soaking lots of black eyed peas for a big batch of Hoppin' John. And we'll have plenty of coffee and beer on hand.

The Capital Times printed a couple looks ahead at 2009. In one, the paper says that next year will be Mayor Dave's chance to shine.

But it is often in times of adversity that opportunities present themselves -- especially for those leaders with the boldness to think big.

What a joke. Exactly how much boldness is required of our mayor when he's flush with cash courtesy of the feds - money from taxes that he didn't have to levy? I'll be impressed with our mayor when he finds a way to shine sans the largesse of the federal government.

While 2009 may end up being a good year, I'm not holding my breath.

The recession will continue unabated when I wake up tomorrow and I fully expect to hear of more and more layoffs for some time to come while corporate America suckles at the teat of a taxpayer-funded recovery program. Our soldiers will still be in harm's way in Iraq and Afghanistan while innocents will continue to die in those countries. Israel prepares for a ground offensive in Gaza which just can't be helpful in the war on terror that Barack Obama plans to continue. We can expect more of our men and women to come home in body bags.

Can someone give me a reason to be optimistic?

3 comments:

Joe Walts said...

I will also be stuffing my face with Hoppin' John tomorrow. Two days ago was the first time I'd ever heard of it.

Skip said...

And what beer goes well with Hoppin' John? ;)

Joe Walts said...

I'd speculate that a rich, but not overly strong or sweet, lager would hit the spot. Capital Munich Dark or Blackened Voodoo! If your version is spicy, I'd go with something more hoppy (haha) like an amber or pale ale.