18 June, 2009

On the Waterfront '09

Last weekend was the Marquette Waterfront Festival and I spent a few hours there last Saturday.



In addition to all the food and vendors hawking their wares, there were hay-less hay rides.



There was plenty of beer to be had at the festival. Capital was selling their Wild Rice summer seasonal. It was wonderful to be able to drink it again after a four year absence. But I also spent time in the garage of a local homebrewer, who has some commercial brewing aspirations I might add, across the street from the park where some of his suds were on tap.



His rye kölsch was really tasty and incredibly refreshing on the hot & sunny day. Kölsch glasses were not provided so we made do with plastic. The IPA was not his best batch and I never did get to try the chocolate cherry oatmeal stout.



A martial arts group of some kind did a performance that afternoon. I want to say that they practice Brazilian jiu-jitsu but don't quote me on that.







Here are some photos of Taj Weekes and Adowa:





Lastly, I noted a country ton of dead fish on and just off the shore of the park.



They looked like bluegill to me but weren't as round as I'm used to. Perhaps they were young.

I even caught a photo of what I think was a carp popping up out of the water. Not sure if it was feeding on the carcasses or just digging in the muck and weeds.



Next up: the Orton Park Festival.

4 comments:

Emily said...

That martial art is called Capoeira.

Skip said...

Thanks for the link, Emily. I'd meant to grab one of their handbills at the festival but neglected to do so.

Lola said...

Skipping La Fette du Marquette?

Skip said...

Naw, I'll probably hit it but it's not until next month.