01 February, 2010

It's A Kielbasa Wrapped in a Pork Loin Inside An Enigma

On Saturday I decided to cook Polish food. I wanted to try something I'd not made previously and so chose rolada wieprzowa nadziewana kiełbasą which is a rolled pork loin stuffed with sausage. So it was off to Knoche's for a pork loin and Bavaria Sausage Kitchen for some fresh kielbasa.

Back home I busted out my meat tenderizer and started on the loin. By the time I was done, it was a bit thicker than it should have been but, as John Lennon once said, I got blisters on my fingers so I called it. Bavaria's fresh Polish sausage is not the greatest but it's still decent. I spread it on the pork loin, rolled the thing up, and tied it off. It got dredged in seasoned flour and then browned.

Before starting the cooking process proper, I threw salt & pepper on it as well as some highly tasty smoked paprika. For liquid I used a mix of beef and chicken stocks as well as some of Capital's Baltic Porter. Here she is a-cookin'.



And this is a cross-section of the cooked porky goodness.



I made the dish z wiśniami or "with cherries". In this case, it was a cherry sauce made with lots of wine. A little broccoli, lettuce salad, and a slice of hearty Polish rye bread from Chicago rounded out the meal.



While I'm on the subject of Polish food, Pączki Day will be here soon so I procured a bunch of pączki. I've never had this brand before and was happy to discover that they are quite good. The Dulcinea and Miles feel the same way so they are going pretty fast. Since someone inevitably asks me where they can get pączki around Madison, I'll say that I am told that Scott's Pastry Shoppe in Middleton makes a poor imitation of pączki. I've also heard a rumor that Lane's Bakery makes them for Shrovetide but this is just a rumor. And I believe Cub Foods bakeries make them, if memory serves, and they are not too bad.

No comments: