08 October, 2010

Sampling Some Suds at Vintage

Before heading to the cinema last night, The Dulcinea and I stopped in at the Vintage Brewing Company for dinner. I hadn't planned to do much in the way of beer drinking as I was driving and didn't want to be getting up to use the head during the movie. The D got a pint of Rye of the Tiger (why so many beers are named after crappy songs is beyond me), an amber ale, but I made sure to take a sip or two. It has very little in the way of hops and instead the crisp rye flavor shone through. This was a really nice quaffable brew.

Scottie, the brewmaster, sat at our table after he had turned the lights out in the brewing room. We suddenly found ourselves with a sample of Tabula Rasa, a Belgian-style single and Alpentraum, a smoked Weizenbock. I was very pleased to see the latter as I'd just written about weissbiers. The stuff was really tasty. It was a fairly hefty weiss with a hint of smoke. (Personally, I wish it'd had a smidge more smokiness to it.) Scottie said that it was his attempt to brew something in the ballpark of Schlenkera's Rauchbier Weizen which he'd had at the brewery when he was in Germany. It was a nice variation on a theme and not an attempt at an extreme beer.

We also learned that Vintage just landed another account to carry their beer. They only have a handful but the latest is here in Madison. Apparently the Eldorado Grill will soon be pouring one of Scottie's brews, though I cannot recall which one. He expressed surprise that, when people express a desire to carry one of his beers, they don't go for the obvious but rather the more eclectic. Someone opted for the Alpentraum, for instance. Good for them.

Before I stop blathering, let me mention the food. I've been impressed with the food at the Vintage. The D really like her fish tacos while I thought the fried chicken was quite tasty. Plus I give the Vintage high marks for making their own hot sauce. I had the Hoodoo Voodoo for the first time. Not particularly hot but a great simple flavor.

No comments: