25 January, 2011

New Meadery in Madison

Bos Meadery hopes to be open for business by the summer. 77 Square has the details.

At a party for The Bricks Theatre at The Old Fashioned more than a month ago, she poured four meads.

Two were sparkling: a semi-sweet pyment made from wildflower honey and pinot grigio grape juice, and a pomegranate pyment with a dry finish, made from pomegranate juice, riesling grape juice and honey, fermented with Champagne yeast.

Bos’ buckwheat mead, a thicker, darker brew, was made from only buckwheat honey, water and yeast. It had flavors of wet hay and wood. A fourth mead she poured at The Old Fashioned had strong flavors from the chardonnay oak chips Bos used to infuse it.


Sounds mighty tasty.

The article also notes that mead is gaining in popularity. Improbably, I am ahead of the curve on this one having gotten a taste for mead several years ago and even making a trek to White Winter up in Iron River to buy some of their mead. (Has it been 5 years already?) If anyone wants to start cooking with mead, might I suggest stewing a pheasant in the stuff? Mmm, mmm good.

I think I have a bottle of White Winter's Raspberry mead that's a few years old in my cellar. I might have to bust that out now.

And it would be great if brackett/braggot (mead with malt) gained in popularity because of this. I have a bottle of Viking's Honey Moon brackett in my frig that I should drink. Hopefully with Viking transmogrifying into Five Star Brewery they won't leave their bracketts behind.

No comments: