26 January, 2011

Worst. Stepfather. Ever.

I'm such a terrible stepdad. I made the kid cry at dinner the other night.

On Monday we had kalberwurst for dinner. The stuff is made with veal and milk and has a very fine, smooth texture. Somehow the conversation started going like this.

Kid: "What kind of sausage is this?"

Me: "Kalberwurst."

Kid: "What's kalberwurst?"

Me: "It's made of veal."

Kid: "What's veal?"

Me: "Calves."

And so on until we get to the point where he asks how cows are killed. Well, I just happen to have a friend who was a health inspector and worked in abattoirs and meat processing plants and who has told me many a story. Being the honest type, I told the kid about those pneumatic bolt guns hoolies that they use at slaughterhouses. Ooh, boy. Not good.

The boy started crying and eventually ran into his room. After a short time went in there after he had calmed down and apologized for making him cry. He said it was OK as he had asked the question.

He learned all about sex in health class and now he knows where that meat on his plate comes from. You've got to learn eventually. I think he's at that age when adults can start dismissing at least some of the lies that he's been told as a child. The world is full of unpleasant things that must be confronted. Now that he's gotten into playing Call of Duty, perhaps next I can introduce him to the unpleasantries that are the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan because I don't think he keeps up on current events nor really understands those conflicts.

Later he said that he was going to become a vegetarian and that's fine by me. I'll help all I can and it'll save on my grocery bill to boot. However, I suspect that the next time I fry bacon that aroma will lay to rest any vegetarian notions he may have. I mean, bacon doesn't come from cows, right?

For anyone interested or interested in becoming a vegetarian, here's the pneumatic bolt guns that I was referring to in action:



Otherwise check out this interminably cute picture.



No comments: