13 June, 2012

Thank You Global Payment Systems

A big thanks to Global Payment Systems for letting both my debit and credit card numbers get compromised.

What flummoxes me is, if the security breach happened in the January-February timeframe, why are my notifications dated 17 May and 6 June? This appears to be Visa's doing as they indicated "Visa reported a data compromise" and "Visa does not provide additional information..." Visa is so incredibly helpful that the notifications I received contain absolutely no information about how my card numbers were compromised nor whether there are any steps I can take in the future to prevent it.

Instead I have to do Google searches to find out what happened and I discovered today that Global Payment Systems don't appear to know the full extent of the intrusion nor exactly what data was compromised.

In March, card processor Global Payments admitted it had been the victim of a targeted cyber attack that put approximately 50,000 credit card holders at risk.

However, there is still a very big looming problem. Global Payments went on to say in the update that “it is unclear whether the intruders looked at or took any personal information from the Company’s systems.”

Although Global Payments did not specify what kind of personal data that could be, nonetheless it leaves the door open to the possibility that data could still be compromised severely.


So thanks again GPS and thanks to the jackass(es) who hacked into their system.

No comments: