12 June, 2012

Where'd Headhunters Go?

Last month I noticed that the website for the movie Headhunters indicated that it was going to open here in Madison at Sundance Cinemas on 1 June. I was happy to hear that as I saw a trailer for it and was intrigued. Well, that day came and went with no sign of the Norwegian noir thriller. OK. Then the site listed 8 June as the release date. Sundance even took an ad out in Isthmus.





The Sundance site doesn't show it playing this week nor next week and the movie is not listed under the Coming Soon section. So where'd it go? How about something on the webpage indicating that plans have changed with any info available on rescheduling? Even a Tweet is better than having one's plans disappear into the aether with no explanation and no setting of customer expectations. To me, this is jerking the customer around.

This isn't the first time Sundance has shuffled their schedule around. Hell, they screened a trailer for Werner Herzog's Into the Abyss when I saw The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 yet I don't recall that movie ever playing there. Another flick that I'm keen on seeing, Safety Not Guaranteed, is supposed to open at Sundance on the 22nd of this month as per the film's webpage. Do I see it elsewhere or take a chance on Sundance?

Having said all this, I do give the theatre credit for taking part in a Summer Classic Movie Series. Citizen Kane screens tomorrow while future films in the series appear to be:
Cool Hand Luke
The Searchers
That's Entertainment
A Clockwork Orange
North by Northwest
Cabaret


It's nice to see Sundance move into repertory theatre territory, although I wonder if this will expand beyond the summer and include films that aren't part of a package playing at other cinemas around the country.

No comments: