13 March, 2013

Baumkuchen Failure

I tried to make baumkuchen bars over the weekend but failed. Not an epic failure, though. Baumkuchen means "tree cake" and is traditionally made by pouring batter on a dowel or spit that rotates next to a heat source. After one layer has been baked, you put on another layer. At the end of the process you have this cake log that you slice along the diameter which reveals the layers or rings.

I was doing bars where the idea is to put a thin layer of batter in a baking dish, bake it, and then add another layer. Repeat until fertig. Boy did I fuck up. So I ended up with kuchen aber kein baum.



While there were no layers, it was still highly edible. Indeed, it was rather tasty.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

I tried to bake this yesterday. Wowza was it ever a fail!

The bottom layers burnt to a crisp, but all in all - it was SUPER TASTY!

Thank you for sharing this and letting me know that I'm not a complete failure.

These things happen. :)

Happy Baking!

Skip said...

Yes they do. I am not a very good baker so my failure was not unexpected. I hope you have better luck next time.