21 November, 2013

Batch Bakehouse to Make Stollen

The folks at Batch Bakehouse are making stollen next month. Stollen is a German cake made with candied fruits and nuts and is usually consumed around Christmas. Being an eastsider, it'll be nice to not have to run out to Middleton to get some this year. I am told it will be available on 14-15 and 21-24 of December. My order has been placed.

When I went to the BB website to look for contact info, I noticed that their bread schedule includes two rye variations as well as pretzels. I was pleased to see this as it seemed that whenever I was at their old location, all I ever saw was focaccia, ciabatta, and baguette. As tasty as these breads are, I am mostly of Central and Eastern Europe stock ergo I need rye coursing through my veins at all times. To my taste, the best rye bread in town is the stuff imported from Chicago that Inter Market carries but I'd love to find a local loaf.

Now, if I could only get Batch to make pączki, makowiec, and kolache. Then I'd be set.

While I'm on the subject, does anyone know where to get rye brat buns in Madison? And while I'm asking "does anyone know where to get" questions, does anyone know where to get woodruff in Madison?


2 comments:

nichole said...

Bavaria Sausage Co. might have Waldmeister syrup - is that close?

Skip said...

I am hoping to find dried or fresh woodruff. If nothing else, someone on the interwebs must carry it.