09 January, 2021

Blu-ray Bargains

A recent visit to the used book store resulted in no books being purchased but I did pick up some Blu-ray titles including these beauties.


The Terror, a 3 disc set, was just $6 while The X-Files' first season was spread out over 6 discs and went for only $7. I have not seen The X-Files in ages but have many fond memories of watching it at viewing parties with other folks in the early and mid-90s. One of my friends watched some episodes within the past few years and found that he simply didn't enjoy it anymore. I am struggling to recall what about the show didn't click with him any longer and all I can remember is a comment akin to "It was too of its time" or some such thing.

The Terror is a wonderful adaptation of the novel which I thoroughly enjoyed. I cannot recommend reading it enough. However, if you live in a boreal clime, save it for summer because I have never felt so cold reading a book in life.

4 comments:

Steve D. said...

I am not going to 'upgrade' to a Blu-Ray player, because of my belief that the movies I most want to obtain and view were not lensed with a Blu-Ray reproduction in mind. As such, this is one more attempt by movie license holders to get more money from people who have previously bought DVD versions.
Honestly, 1970s & 1980s movies, even if they were not explicit erotic presentations, do not need this much attention to detail.
If this remark puts me on the outside of the movie community; I exhale. I have found Blu-Ray DVDs in the bin at Dollar Tree, if you're of that ilk. 8=I

Skip said...

Are you saying they were lensed with DVD reproduction in mind?

All movies need much attention to detail as they can be given.

Steve D. said...

What I am saying is that.. in 2022, there will be a new Blu-Ray version of the same movie in 4000x3000 released, which, the contemporary video review sites will blather "must be viewed" (which of course they have to scribe lest they be dropped from the studio's screener's roster).
And then there will be another enhanced version (in VR!) released in 2025! And again and again...
How many versions of the same movie do you really need to view? How many 'improved' versions are you willing to buy | rent | stream?

Skip said...

I get that HD is the new thing and that there will be more formats in the future, I guess. Unless streaming just takes over.

I have staked my flag on bluray. DVDs of stuff shot on film look like crap. If you're content with that, more power to you. I prefer to have more detail and, especially, a better contrast ratio. A lot of movies I love have a lot of darkness and shadow in them and look awful on DVD. Bluray is fine for me if I cannot view it in a cinema.