19 April, 2004

Aestival Events

Things are afoot here in Madison! A few years ago, O'Cayz Corral burned down. It was a nice hole-in-the-wall and a great venue for seeing bands. But now the owner has found a new place and it is set open next month as the High Noon Saloon.

In September, the Overture Center opens with a week of free festivities. The Hannah Jon Artet, Mama Digdown, Tony Casteneda, and Prog will all be playing. Also, Mind's Eye Radio Collective shall be doing a performance. They do "radio program that mixe poetry, commentary, drama, interviews, vox pop, and feature stories which explore contemporary social issues." The Kanopy Dance Company will also be performing. I may have dated Briana for only a few months but she got me interested in dance.

And I should buy a ticket for the Madison Symphony Orchestra's opening show of the season as they'll be doing Beethoven's 9th!! Speaking of which, I oughta go check out the schedules for the Milwaukee and Chicago symphonies as well...

Oooh! The CSO is gonna do The Rite of Spring!! I must go! Plus they're doing more Schoenberg and more Stravinsky too! The MSO is doing Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin and Dvorak's From the New World! Alright - who wants to catch some high culture with me?

Unfortunately, I missed the California Guitar Trio in Milwaukee and I don't think I'll be able to see Yes in Chicago next month. But the Reverend Horton Heat will be coming here in a month or so. Too bad they're playing at the Barrymore. I should try to see Wilco down in Chicago at the Vic in June. While there aren't many gigs announced yet for Summerfest, I see that Primus will be in Milwaukee in June!

What else have we got here...? Oh yeah! The Farmer's Market will be starting next Saturday! And tickets for The Great Taste of the Midwest go on sale soon.

If the weather holds this week, I may have to head out to Olbrich Gardens. If not, it's off to the Evlehjem to see their "Books as Art" exhibition. Or both. And I feel the need to go to the cinema. I'd like to see The Triplets of Belleville. KEWL! The IMAX theater at Navy Pier will be showing the next Harry Potter movie!

So much to do and see...

No comments: