24 April, 2004

The Smell of Jalapeno in the Morning

Today has started off well enough. I got up at 5:30 and was out the door on my way to the Farmer's Market a bit after 6. It was a bit on the chilly side when I walked out the door and windy too. Must have been 40. Parking my car, I ambled up to the Square. First things first: coffee. That Johnson Roasters cart at Carroll & Mifflin has some pukka dark roasts. Got me a large cuppa Kenyan AA. Oh mama! It was pipin' hot and really gave my brain a jolt.

Being so early in the season, there wasn't a whole helluva lot of stuff but I grabbed some items for Miss Pamela and esquire27 from Suicidegirls. E27 wanted some jalapeno cheese bread. Check. For Miss Pamela, I got a loaf of it as well plus some nice Wisconsin honey as she drinks a lot of tea. I also bought a hoolie of ground hot pepper mix from Out of Our Gourd and a jar of peach-jalapeno jelly figuring it would go well on jalapeno cheesebread toast. There was one stand on Main Street that had tons of jalapeno jellies. My jaw nearly hit the ground as I looked at the selection. I bought some strawberry-jalapeno. Oh my Christ, is it tasty! And it's got some zing too - perfect way to start my morning. As for their plain jalapeno jelly, they had the normal stuff, 2x, 4x, and 6x hotness. Uff da!

I got home and Stevie almost immediately started pointing out things to me from a marine supplies catalog. "We should get this grill" and "I'll look for a TV/DVD/VCR combo unit". Ugh! While it would be nice to have a small TV to watch the Packers while out on the lake swimming and swilling beer, I don't think we really need a DVD player. But we are considering taking a long trek down the Mississippi River on the boat so it might be nice for a night or 2. But the whole point, for me, of being out on the river is to try and avoid television and whatnot.

I found another DC++ hub from which to snag shows. I'm downloading shows by Jimi Hendrix, Tori Amos, and REM from right here in Madison. I also got a Smashing Pumpkins gig from here as well that was broadcast over the radio before they hit the big time. A couple Tull shows finished downloading as did that Sly & the Family Stone gig. Hatfield & the North, Egg, Alvin Youngblood Hart, REM, Porcupine Tree, Gong - all mine! And I'm trying to get a hold of one of the guys to clarify his bootlist and find out if one of the Nirvana shows is from here in Madison - July 1989. I just dig having copies of concerts from my town. Lots of them are from New York City or a club in L.A. or some other big city. But it's kinda neat to hear people playing before a smaller audience in the Midwest. Plus I'm availing myself of the opportunity to introduce myself to music and artists I haven't listened to much by grabbing one of their local shows. For instance, I've never heard much Tori Amos so I decided to download her Madison show from '96.

Well, I'm gonna do a load of laundry and take a nap before I head to Milwaukee. While I am not in the most social of moods, I think that'll change when I get there. It's always nice to see Miss Pamela and I'll get to meet some new people. I suppose I had better buy some beer and snacks to bring to the party. Methinks I'll get some Lake Louie beer as it is not to be found in Milwaukee. Man, I'm getting fired up for the shindig already!

No comments: