02 September, 2007

Apples, Apples Everywhere

Yesterday provided lots of entertainment options. Many folks headed over to Taste of Madison while others to the Capital Brewery for Firefest and the inaugural tapping of the year's Autumnal Fire. Being on-call for work until tomorrow morning, I didn't want to be near any beer-soaked festival because my will is weak. Instead The Dulcinea and I headed nort for a return visit to Lapacek Orchard. Their newsletter said that the mysterious Wolf River apples were ready a bit early and I just had to see them for myself.



Pulling up, we found the driveway rather crowded with a few cars, most of which were SUVs from Illinois. Stepping out of the car, we were greeted by the hound! He's just so big and fury and cuddly.



We moseyed to the store and saw walls lined with gourds galore along with pumpkins, and watermelon.





There was also a mean-eyed putty tat hanging out in the lawn.



Inside Kim was minding the store and she remembered up from our last visit. With September upon us, apple season is in full bloom and they were offering some pre-hoolied apple mixes such as for apple spice bread and apple streusel muffins. Plus there were canned apples and make-your-own caramel apple kits. The words "hot pepper" attract me like a moth to the flame and so I just couldn't resist buying a jar of the hot pepper mustard which, Kim informed us, was made by her mother-in-law.



In addition to food, the Lapaceks also sell craft items such as quilts and jewelry that they make. The Dulcinea makes necklaces and bracelets so she and Kim hit it off really well and chatted for a bit. Kim divulged that she is a "retired" engineer. With a youthful face that places her in her late 20s, she must have left the lab or drawing board quite early in her career for a life on an orchard. Meanwhile I continued to wander around and leave a trail of drool wherever I did go. Those red onions stared at me long and hard as did some of the Spanish variety. So we got a bit of both. And red potatoes too! Actually, I'll bet that the first things I took off of a table or shelf and put near the register was a couple caramel apples. They are addictive.

Were the Wolf River apples in? You betcha! Just take a look at these babies: (The apples, that is.)



Now compare the Wolf River to a Gala:



They're not quite the one-to-a-pie size, but they're still enormous. Kim was kind enough to let us sample 2 or 3 apples and we ended up buying bags of Wolf Rivers, Galas, and Wealthies. She even asked about my medieval apple fritters. Kim is a total sweetheart. She apologized much too much for having to change her daughter's diapers. No biggie. We can keep ourselves busy ogling apples and contemplating how many onions to purchase.

I really enjoy heading out there. It's nice to be able to purchase food directly from the folks who grow/produce the stuff. Plus the farm is just a relaxing atmosphere when contrasted with a big sterile square box that is the grocery store. I used a couple apples yesterday for dinner and am planning on making applesauce and apple butter to can. We also bought a bunch of corn which is going to end up in our freezers for a taste of warmer times when the chill descends upon us. We will probably head back next weekend for more. Kim told us that they'll have the first cider of the year ready by then.



On the way back to Madison we stopped in at Schultz's Market in DeForest. We'd both made the mistake of not having eaten before heading to the orchard and by this time we were famished. The D bought some pistachio fluff and a couple hot sticks while I bought some Italian and Hungarian sausage links as well as some incredibly thick bacon. I fried up the bacon this morning to break our fasts along with some hot rice cereal. I ran out of maple syrup recently so we put barley malt on the cereal. It tastes just like wort smells and this explains why I love Grape Nuts. The bacon too was delicious. Each slice was a bit less than a quarter inch thick and very narrow. It was smoked to perfection and it again made me realize just how sick & twisted religious prohibitions on pork are. For someone to deprive themselves of the culinary equivalent of orgasm because of some lunatic in the desert thousands of years is truly ridiculous.

Once into town, we made a final stop at Alex Polish American Deli at its new location on E. Wash and Alex himself was behind the counter with his trademark Highland moustache. Their new digs are smaller than their old ones on Monroe Street and I think a shelf was missing from the equation. Still, the sweets are still there along with the stuff that appeals to me. They had a variety or two of kielbasa that I don't recall seeing at the old store. There were Parówki Wieprzowe or pork wieners and I believe Starowiejska. Still no Jałowcowa (juniper berry sausage) though. That garlic ham and peppered pork loin are going to end up on my sandwiches for lunch next week if I don't eat it all by tomorrow.

No comments: