25 April, 2008

Rebates Are Coming Early

Our tax rebates are going out early with direct deposits coming Monday. Will this spell a turnaround for the economy?

Bush has suggested the rebates could trigger a spending spree. "When the money reaches the American people, we expect they will use it to boost consumer spending," he said last month.

I don't know about you but I am going to tuck my rebate away – no spending spree for your humble narrator. What are you, dear reader, going to do with your rebate?

On a related note I wanted to say that I got my credit card statement earlier this week. My balance read "NONE". NONE. It is so nice to not owe those usurers at Visa anything. A couple grand in credit card debt was driving me crazy so I cannot fathom what it must be like for the people about whom I hear stories where they owe $50,000 or more to the likes of Visa and MasterCard. And I got the paperwork a few days ago to remove my credit union as a lienholder on my car. This is because I paid it off. It is also really great to own my car.

Getting these debts paid off in March was way ahead of schedule for me. I'd planned on having them done in June. Unfortunately, my next financial goal is not going to be met. But this is because of a security deposit due on a new apartment that The D and I are moving into. That should be a hoot!

No comments: