20 January, 2009

Goodbye Cruel Student Loans

Goodbye, cruel student loans
I'm paying you off today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye


I will soon be joining the elite ranks of the few, the proud, the debt-free. Checks will be in the mail shortly so, by the end of the week my student loans will be paid off as will my credit card.

Thinking back, I remember my high school history teacher coming into class one morning all excited. When I asked him why he was so happy, he replied, "I just paid off my student loans!" And now, some 20 years later, I know exactly how he felt that day first hand. I've been paying them back for 13 years but no more. It seemed like this day would never come back when I had just graduated from college.

It's difficult to recall the last time I had no debt. I suppose I was 18, just before I took out my first student loan. No doubt I'll take on some debt this year so I am going to enjoy this moment while it lasts. Perhaps I shall start my celebration by giving some money to the Madison Repertory Theatre which has fallen on hard times.

No comments: