23 March, 2009

Sumer Is Icumen In

Spring is here as evidenced by what I assume are the snowbells that have sprung to life in my front yard.



I spent some time this weekend raking the backyard and getting the garden ready. I tilled several square yards of soil. Luckily, my back is not too sore. First I turned the earth over with a pitchfork and then busted out the hoe to break up the clods and level it. What I need is a 21st century computerized, mechanized, automated harrow because, as I learned that dirt is infested with unknown roots that are a pain in the arse.

I also learned that the garden plot extended a little ways onto my next door neighbors' lot. They, in turn, granted these few feet of fief to the couple on the other side of their house. Last year, the gals who were renting our place gave them the whole shooting match which explains why there were rows for walking covered with cocoa shells between rows of plants. The soil with the plants had been covered in mulch and I raked it all away and dug up everything as I want more space. It seems that my neighbors just wanted a few plants to have fresh vegetables in the autumn. I, on the other hand, am looking to plant a lot of tomatoes for canning so I have them throughout the winter. I was told that there's a fungus in the soil that attacks tomatoes so I'm preparing to use a sulfur spray or a baking soda & Epsom salt concoction to ward it off.

For now, however, I need to sow more seeds at the home of my friend who has a grow light. Currently he has my impatiens and begonia seedlings in his possession. And next month I plan on sowing radish seeds directly into the ground. Being of Northern European and Slavic stock, I just have to plant some kind of root vegetable.

No comments: