10 April, 2009

On Drinking Berliner Weiss

When Dan Carey down at New Glarus brewed up his Berliner Weiss, this appeared on the label:

Napoleon hailed this tart beer style “the Champagne of the North”. A lively and elegant masterpiece this Berliner Weiss is a kaleidoscope of fresh flavor. Barrel fermentation, Pinot Grigio, Riesling grapes and Wisconsin White Wheat are bottle fermented with five proprietary yeast strains. A connoisseur’s rare jewel both spirited and subtle, Enjoy your sparking toast under summer stars.

What Carey didn't mention is that one usually drinks a Berliner Weiss mit Schuss or with a shot of syrup. The beer is quite sour and the syrup sweetens it a bit and adds another flavor, generally raspberry (Himbeersirup) or woodruff (Waldmeistersirup). Well, I got my hands on some Waldmeistersirup recently and had me a Berliner Weiss mit Schuss.



In my haste for a beer after work, I used a pint glass instead of the customary goblet. Never having used syrup before, I was unsure how much to put in and my beer ended up with a couple tablespoons of it.



I suspect that, if I'd have been served one in Germany, I'd have been given a glass with more syrup. As it was, the beer had a slight green tint and a hint of the earthy woodruff flavor. Despite not having used enough Waldmeistersirup, it was rather tasty. I like sour beer and that flavor was still present with the syrup providing undertones.

Tonight I'll drink another but use a goblet and more syrup.

2 comments:

jason said...

Much, much greener. The Berliner Weisses I saw in Berlin looked like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/23904658@N00/706914207/in/set-72157600624293344/

Skip said...

I tried again and I think I succeeded. See my latest post on the matter.