15 September, 2009

Making Jalapeno Jelly Syrup



While my applesauce making went well, the same cannot be said for my attempt a couple weeks ago at making jalapeno jelly. I had plenty of fresh japs from my garden and my buddy Dogger's as well as mild green peppers from Lapaceks Orchard. (They have a garden area where you can go pick your own veg.)

I cut everything up, removing seeds and membranes along the way.



Making jalapeno jelly involves turning you kitchen into a World War I battlefied. Pureeing the peppers releases a cloud of toxic fumes which is made ten times worse when you put the pepper mash into a pot with vinegar to cook and suddenly think that a can of mustard gas was opened. The Dulcinea was putzing around the kitchen as my cauldron of capsicum-laced effluence boiled and it wasn't long before she started coughing.



I ran the my mash through a sieve, added pectin, and canned.



Somewhere along the way I mismeasured – probably too much liquid – because my jelly never jelled. So now I am the less than proud owner of about 6 pints of jalapeno syrup. What can I do with the stuff? I think that it would make a nice glaze for a ham or pork roast but I'd need to eat an awful lot of pig to go through that much glaze. I am thinking about trying a bit on vanilla ice cream.

Any suggestions? Or should I just admit defeat?

2 comments:

Madtown Chris said...

We've only gotten the jelly right once. I have no idea why it turns to syrup 90% of the time. I tried to fix it by boiling it more with more pectin - my advice is to give up...

Skip said...

I have been able to make it perfectly fine in the past so I have no intention of giving up. Instead I'll triple check my measurements.