21 October, 2010

Farewell Montgomery Brewpub, I Never Even Knew Ya

Next summer I'll be heading to Montgomery, AL for a reunion of The Dulcinea's family. I was poking around the tubes and discovered that the city has a brewpub only to find out a minute later that it had closed. I'm hoping they'll be able to restructure and reopen by the summer because Alabama isn't exactly known for its brewing prowess and I'd hate to bring my own beer. I suppose Budweiser, Abita, and Shiner will be common down there.

At least I won't be lacking for grub. I'm not sure if the reunion is going to be a multi-day thing or not. We're to be there for three days and I hope to sample some local BBQ and soul food. One of The D's aunts used to have a diner but has gotten out of the business. My plan to is have The D drop some hints about yanking her out of retirement and cooking up a big Southern breakfast - grits, red hots, ham, pancakes, bacon - the whole nine yards.

I've only ever driven through part of Alabama so it should be fun. My experience with the state is taking I-65 down to Birmingham and then heading west on I-59. Now I'll be able to spend some time there with a bunch of locals. The city is just a bit smaller than Madison and I'm sure there will be plenty of things related to Rosa Parks everywhere. Plus I will no doubt hear a lot of bitching about the city's use of back door eminent domain. The D's father was down there earlier this year and he said it has really unamused many people down there.

No comments: