06 July, 2011

Meet Sprecher's New Summer Seasonal: Summer Pils





While I first heard about Sprecher's newest beer, Summer Pils, weeks ago, I haven't been able to find it here in Madison. Granted, I've not scoured the city's liquor emporia but recent visits to Woodman's and Star proved fruitless. Luckily I spent last weekend in Milwaukee and made a trip to Discount Liquor where I bought a bottle of the stuff.

It should be no surprise that Summer Pils, a Czech style pilsner, is Sprecher's new summer seasonal. With its introduction, I believe the brewery has shuffled its seasonal release schedule. If memory serves, it replaces the Irish Style Stout which was surely around for St. Patrick's Day. Looking at their seasonal release schedule, it says that the Oktoberfest is available starting in July. Who are these people drinking Oktoberfest in July when it's 90 degrees outside?

As you can see, Summer Pils pours with a big head that lingers and is a pleasant dark straw color. My nose found a biscuit aroma along with a nice herbal bouquet courtesy of the Saaz hops. I had just mowed two lawns prior to quaffing this stuff and it was remarkably refreshing. The malt profile is not very strong. What there is of was very smooth – almost buttery. However this was overtaken as the hops quickly come to the fore. Here they impart a spicy/grassy flavor that leans towards the floral in the finish.

Junk food pairing: While I drank this stuff as part of a regimen to cool down after working outside, I suspect that Summer Pils would pair well with some Asian rice cracker snack mix.

No comments: