17 August, 2011

Hey Sundance, What Happened to All the Movies?

Until recently, Sundance here in Madison had a couple flicks listed on their Coming Soon list that I was keen on seeing: Another Earth and Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest plus a third that I had little interest in, The Names of Love.

I talked to a friend of mine last night who is a big Tribe fan and he said that it had disappeared from the schedule. Thinking that it had just gotten bumped back a week owing to the popularity of a feature length edit of the British TV series The Trip, I checked for myself and discovered the above movies had gone POOF! out of existence at Sundance's website. Bloody hell!

So, if you want to see The Trip, download the full six episode series and watch it at home like it was meant to be seen instead of settling for an expunged version that is taking up precious real estate. We can free up some screens and get some good movies in.

At least Wayne Wang's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is still on the list.

6 comments:

Kenneth Burns said...

Beats, Rhymes & Life and Names of Love are on the new Screening Room calendar, and both open Sept. 16.

Skip said...

Thanks for the comment, Mr. B. I saw the date for the Tribe doc at the movie's website.

The vagaries of Sundance's schedule flummoxes me considering other cinemas can schedule out months in advance and stick to it.

Kenneth Burns said...

Yep. The current calendar for Chicago's Music Box Theatre spans three months, but the new Screening Room calendar has events for just one month. The realities of a smaller market, maybe.

Skip said...

You may be right. I suppose they've got issues when they hold movies over another week or more or have to make sure there's room for blockbusters.

Still, Another Earth seems to have disappeared into the Madison cinema aether.

I have a love/hate relationship with Sundance. They bring some good movies here, to be sure, but, when I asked if they had plans to screen Cave of Forgotten Dreams, I was told no because they can't screen in 3D ignoring the fact that there was a 2D version out as well which showed in Milwaukee. They play it too safe sometimes, IMHO.

Kenneth Burns said...

Cave of Forgotten Dreams in 2D is also on the new schedule. Sept. 9.

Skip said...

I saw that at your fine article at The Daily Page. :)