07 July, 2004

Mid-Work

It's only 10 o'clock but it's been a long day. I suppose this is because there's so much stuff I'd rather be doing than sitting here at work but so it goes.

Since it's fairly slow, I've been poking around Michael Moore's website as well as mediamatters.org. Nothing like a little lefty news to pump me full of piss and vinegar. Since I haven't written much of substance lately, I will mention that I saw Fahrenheit 9/11. It was OK. I mean, I enjoyed the mockery of Dubya, I was disappointed in the film stylistically. There wasn't enough of Moore going around asking questions. And there was too much crying! Not to belittle the woman in the film or to make light of the death of her child, but I come from the school that people crying onscreen is cheap sensationalism. Sure, I can see showing someone as the tears start falling, but Moore let that shit run on for 15 minutes! Stop showing us the tears and get back to the argument. No one needs to watch her cry for that long to know that she feels an incredibly deep loss. I wanted more Moore doing his schtick. (The ice cream truck scene was great!)

I went with a gang of 8 people or so, including Pete. He and I agreed that The Fog of War was much better, although the two films have some great differences.

There's a saying about being careful what you wish for. I wished for sex and now I find that my penis is sore from use. And semen production can barely keep up with demand. I have a lot to write about concerning my sex life but I shan't right now. And I don't mean just the gory details. Getting laid regularly has made me happier, kicked my libido into overdrive, et al. The wonderful sense of exploration - not only of her body, but of my mind and my desires. Sexuality is such an integral part of the human animal - how could people deny it?

Earlier this morning, I finished reading Adam, Eve, and the Serpent. Interesting stuff. It's a book about the differences in various attitudes between the early Christians and the Jews as well as how these attitudes changed as Christianity became the religion of the empire instead of a persecuted minority. Attitudes about sex, marriage, divorce, womyn's rights, human nature, et al.

The section about the debate between Augustine and Julian was absolutely fascinating. Briefly, Julian was old school in that he purported that God's gift to mankind was freewill. But Augustine argued that Adam's transgression in the Garden stained humanity forever and thus was the concept of Original Sin born and the world has been suffering ever since. Along with this, Augustine includes sexual desire. Rather than a natural bit of Creation, he saw it as a curse bestowed upon us all by Adam's heinous actions. Now, if that isn't fucking ridiculous, I don't know what is.

Not sure what my next read is going to be. Perhaps A History of God. I know I have a few more books that I haven't read yet on my shelves. We'll see when I get home.

No comments: