10 September, 2004

Avuncular Abilities Needed

I found out a little while ago that Mel suffered a "major stroke" yesterday night. Here's what Dan told me:

"They are uncertain where the clot really is. It is very unusual to have a young woman with this problem so they are tentative on some treatments and a course of action. Mel's stepmom used the words 'deterioration' and 'permanent vegatative state' during my conversation. Mel is awake now, but slips in and out of sleep (not consciousness I was told). She may start getting worse in the next day or so and that is that. She may eventually recover, but only after massive rehabilitation--it all depends on where the clot is."

I called Pete and he knew about it. I also called Dogger. I can't tell you just how nervous I was. How do you approach someone whose wife is facing mortal health problems in the hospital? Even someone you've known for nearly 17 years? I got the answering machine and left a message. It rang only once before picking up so either he just wants to be alone, which is quite understandable, or he's at the hospital. I'm going to try and find out which hospital she's at - Pete gets off from work at 4 and we wanna go visit her, if possible, this evening.

I keep thinking about Regan. She's only 8 months old and it looks like she might lose her mother. At the very least, have a mother who is helpless and needs to be taken care of as much as she. The thought that Mel would be in a vegetative state horrifies me. Dogger would have a daughter and a wife to take care of. I know how hard it was for my dad to nurse Joni after she fell ill. A year and a half of being a nurse - feeding, bathing, etc. It drove him crazy. I feel so helpless. I'd like to help out but can't, at the moment. But I have this feeling that my duties as Regan's uncle are going to become much larger soon.

No comments: