10 June, 2008

D&D 4th Edition is Here

Now that the 4th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons has been released, commentary is making its way to the Net. For instance, here's one by an experienced DM. It sounds like they've simplified things in many respects, especially combat. Not a big deal for me as my DM, Marv, often said "make a dex check" when it came to things other than hacking'n'slashing. Here's Marv's first take:

It's got a lot of really good stuff and I think it would work well for a group like ours, older with not so much time on our hands.

But there is enough missing and different that I think it loses some of the feel of DnD.

Still reading and I'm gonna go online to see if anyone can put my concerns to rest but I'm not convinced I would like to switch.

I am also aware of the 'change is bad' effect and I am doing my best to give it time to sink in.

I guess I'll point this out as an issue. It seems the PC are very much more 'heroes' now right from the get-go with more power right off the bat. Kinda takes away from the 'pulled myself up with my boot straps' feeling I prefer in my campaigns.


For my part, I'm trying to motivate myself to get a Call of Cthulhu adventure going. When I get some pocket change again I'm going to buy one of Chaosium's monographs. Unfortunately, I've never seen any of them at local gaming shops so I guess I'll be making my purchase online. My D&D buddies have never played CoC so it should be fun to have them go insane as they peruse the stacks at Miskatonic U. or as they traverse the Antarctic.

Any gamer dorks out there that can recommend a good CoC adventure for newbies?

No comments: