10 June, 2009

A New Polish Deli On the Way?

A couple weeks ago my co-worker Jason and I were talking about how we've noticed more people around town who speak Slavic languages. And not just downtown where we work but on the west side where he lives and the east side where I live. There is a project here where we work to install card readers on doors and we found out that one of the guys doing the installations is Polish. He wandered into the IT dungeon yesterday and we cornered him asking whether or not he thought there were more Slavs about town.

Our conversation turned towards the Polish delis that have come and gone here in Madison when the gentleman remarked that he has thought about opening one here himself. He had certainly made the comment to the right people as Jason and I have been known to frequent Polish delis in Chicago. We talked about what those in Madison have done right and what they've done wrong and, in general, did our best to convince the guy that opening one is a wonderful idea. I think we made something of an impact as he told us that he'd been wanting to change careers and do something which may not make a lot of money but at which he'd be happy.

The gentleman continued by telling us about an uncle of his in Poland who makes kielbasa. In fact, he raises and slaughters the pigs himself. Plus he apparently bakes a mean loaf of bread. By the time the tale was finished, I was salivating.

So hopefully he'll take the plunge and open a Polish deli here in town and all you people can thank me for it. (Ahem.)

2 comments:

Joe Walts said...

A Polish bakery would be nice too. I miss paczki.

Skip said...

I think that Scott's in Middleton does them to order in February while Lane's does a small batch which sells out in a day.

I can't vouch for how good they are as I don't think I've ever had them.