18 August, 2009

Africa Fest '09

This past Saturday was the 11th annual Africa Fest over at Warner Park. The Dulcinea, Miles, and I attended for a short spell – enough time to eat and catch some dancing. I wish we could have stayed longer because, although it was only my 2nd or 3rd time attending, I am really warming to it. It would would have been nice to have found out how this year's theme, "the fulfillment of the diaspora", played out the rest of the day.

As at all festivals, there are tents laden with tasty food and tables with salespeople hawking their wares. Buraka and Africana were there with their delectable African offerings as was Jamerica with their jerky goodness. In addition, there were other folks selling more traditional fest fare. Me, I had a Maxwell Street Polish. You can take the FIB out of Chicago but you can't take the Chicago out of the FIB, I guess. The Dulcinea and Miles, on the other hand, went with snocones and jerk pork.





For sale was a multitude of African clothing, jewelry, musical instruments, CDs, DVDs, et al.

Onstage was, I am kinda sorta certain, was Jam Ak Jam whose Afro-dance theatre was mighty impressive.



Both the drumming and dancing were amazing. These photos don't do justice to their performance. Sweat was dripping off the performers' brows as they jumped and moved their bodies to the insistent beat.





Towards the end of their routine, the dancers dragged folks from the audience onto the stage with them.



Africa Fest just has a whole different vibe than the other summer fests I've been to here in Madison. It gets me out of my isthmus-dwelling, white, middle-class bubble. There are more people of color and everywhere you turn, there is a tribune heralding some aspect of African culture, of which I am woefully ignorant.

As was the case last year, I was hoping to find some reviews of it or some blog posts by attendees since I wasn't there very long. Alas, I've found virtually nothing. How about a little love for the north side?!

No comments: