27 November, 2009

I Am A Fanboy

So here I am at Chicago TARDIS and I just did a total fanboy with Rob Shearman, he being the writer of the Doctor Who audio drama Chimes of Midnight.

"It's one of my favorite audio dramas Doctor Who or not," I gushed. He looked at me politely as all Englishmen do. "My girlfriend loves it too. It's one of her favorites as well."

I'm getting the liner notes of Chimes autographed at the con. Five down, two to go including Paul McGann, who The Dulcinea will fawn over. Perhaps melt at his gaze. I'll never hear the end of it. "I'll never wash this hand again..."

It's been 22 years since I've been to any kind of Doctor Who gathering, the last having been seeing Sylvester McCoy in La Crosse(?!) back in 1987, so I'm still adjusting to all the Tom Baker scarves as I am, to the best of my knowledge, the lone owner of one in Madison. (Surely someone else has one...) A fair number of second Doctor outfits as well. And I wanna get a photo of the person dressed as the clockwork robot hoolie from "Girl in the Fireplace".

Well, off to a Big Finish seminar and then it's Italian beef for dinner. After that we'll probably watch some fan flicks.

Uh oh. A wedding party just walked in. I can only imagine being the blushing bride and seeing all the dorks with long scarves and black t-shirts and wondering just who the hell these people are.

No comments: