04 November, 2009

Charter Gets Aggressive

Some Charter Communications salesperson would not take no for an answer.

McGuire said her phone problems started with an unexpected knock at the door from Charter.

"(The salesperson) was willing to sell me telephone service because I already have Charter cable and TV."

McGuire wasn't interested. The salesperson left her with an application, but she said the pitch didn't end there.

The next day, and the day after that, McGuire said she got the same automated calls referencing the FCC requirement. McGuire said about six or seven calls came in a span of about a week.


I received a call from a Charter salesman about two weeks ago who also would not take no for an answer. Fortunately I wasn't harassed like Ms. McGuire.

However, I did receive a notice from Charter yesterday that my Internet bill is going to go up $7/month starting in December. Presumably that whole Chapter 11 bankruptcy thing isn't going well for them. Either that or they're preparing to be sued after the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement is adopted. I looked into AT&T's U-Verse service but found that you can't get Internet access alone. Instead, it comes bundled with their TV service, which I don't want.

8 comments:

Kenneth Burns said...

This summer I signed up for a deal with Charter that locked in my Internet rate for two years. Felt good about it. Then I got a letter from Charter yesterday saying that they'll be raising...my modem lease fee. Stupid loopholes.

Skip said...

You lucky dog. My modem fee is going up as well - by $2. My Internet rate is going up $5. Where is all the competition promised me by capitalists?

Jesse said...

"I looked into AT&T's U-Verse service but found that you can't get Internet access alone. Instead, it comes bundled with their TV service, which I don't want"

That simply isn't true. You need to bypass the packages and click "build your own." You can get 3mbs downstream Internet for $30 per month (and a one time $149 set up fee).

Skip said...

Jesse - thanks for pointing that out. I was referring to what is apparently a very outdated promo at the ATT page.

Ben said...

Wondering if there is there a big difference in service/price between U-Verse and just regular AT&T DSL?

We have DSL with AT&T (no home phones/tv), similar price/downstream, and have been pleased.

Skip said...

I suppose it depends on what speed connection you're talking about.

Jesse said...

No problem regarding the correction. They make it really easy to get confused and assume you need the whole package. I only know because I'm also looking to finally dump Charter.

Skip said...

If you do go with ATT, let me know how it goes for you.