30 September, 2010

Coming Soon: New Restaurants

I once asked Linda Falkenstein what kind of restaurant she'd like to see here in Madison and she told me that she wants to be able to go out and eat Burmese food. Well, there's no Burmese restaurant in town, yet anyway, there are some restaurant openings of note.

Of most interest to me, Steven Buchholz of Cream Café recently tweeted:

A little bird told me a former chef of Sardine is opening a New York style deli in the once "Africana" space on Atwood.

This is good news. There's some passable to good corned beef in Madison but, having grown up on some delis on Chicago's far north side, none stack the meat as they should. Like this:





On State Street, Pepe's Casa has opened. I assumed that it was going to be a Mexican joint but saw a sandwich board out on the street that said they had American food. I'm hoping this means that they serve both. Anyone tried their food yet?

The other day I noticed that a new candy store is going to be opening up on the 500 block of State Street. It's going to be called something like BeeBee's Campus Candy.

And thanks to Ms. Falkenstein, I've learned that the Underground Food Collective's Underground Kitchen will be opening on 7 October. Plus there's going to be more Italian available that same day with the opening of Nostrano on the other side of the Square. I have this feeling that I'll be referring to this joint as Nostromo.



6 comments:

Joe Walts said...

Deli! Yes! Hopefully that'll lead to the availability of Russian dressing in this town too.

Skip said...

I was unaware that we had this problem. Where have you looked?

Joe Walts said...

Willy St. Co-op, Jennifer St. Market, Copps, Hy-Vee, Ken's Deli, Jacobson Bros. I haven't checked looked at Woodman's yet, though, and that would probably be a good bet. Do you know where to get some?

Skip said...

How odd. I didn't think of it as being such a rare thing. I would suggest Woodman's and will be keeping an eye out for it.

I haven't had it in ages because I have this irrational phobia of it. Whenever it's mentioned, I think of the time I was grocery shopping with my mom and grandmother. My grandma was looking for low sodium Russian dressing for my grandfather who'd had his 3rd or 4th heart attack. The 5th killed him. So I tend to associate the stuff with death.

nichole said...

Heard anything more about Stalzy's Deli lately?

Skip said...

Nope. I didn't even know that was the name of the joint until this comment.