16 January, 2004

F*ck Stephen King

I know I shouldn't let little things piss me off but they do. At least when it comes to certain things. I saw a commercial for "Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital". What irritates me is that this TV series is a re-make of "The Kingdom", a mini-series from Denmark by Lars von Trier, et al. I shudder to think what is going to happen to that nice slice of Dogme 95 filmmaking from 1994. It just irritates me that Stephen King is being made out to be the man behind it when most of the work has already been done by an excellent Danish director. When Americans remake foreign TV shows/films, they usually get ruined. What the fuck is wrong with Americans that they can't handle subtitles? Go rent "The Kingdom". Unfortunately, "The Kingdom 2" is unavailable in the States. La Femme Nikita was a great movie as is but no - Hollywood had to remake it as Point of No Return which was horrible. And Brotherhood of the Wolf was fantastic! But it was in French so it bombed here at the box office. It had everything - the budget, the special effects, handsome leading man, hot chickie but it was in a foreign language so hardly anyone wanted to see it. Go rent that too, while you're at it.

Just too many philistines...

No comments: