16 August, 2006

You Know Autumn Approaches...

...when all but one of the Most Clicked stories at our local newspaper's website are about football and I'm canning. You see, I got home yesterday evening only to find a large bag full of tomatoes. Well, I got the hint and so I did some canning this evening.

First I got some water going on the stove and sterilized my jars.





Then came the laborous task of blanching the tomatoes and throwing them in cold water so I could peel the skins off of them.



I had 4 jars ready to go but had enough for 5 as I went out to the garden to see if there were more ripe, juicy toms a-ready for cannin'. Much to my chagrin, 3 exploded. So I ended up with only 2 quarts.



The cayennes are nearly there so I'll have several gross of them to contend with soon. I'm thinking that I'll make a few gallons of hot sauce, give some away, and then dry the rest. We also have jalapenos and wax peppers. No idea what I'm gonna do with those yet. I think I might pickle the japs but we'll see...

No comments: