04 March, 2008

R.I.P. - Sony Trinitron

Time to write the obit for the Sony Trinitron as production stops this year. As the article says, "Trinitron became a synonym of the best quality TV sets and computer monitors on the planet". My parents bought one in 1970 and it was the main TV that I watched throughout my childhood. I watched Sesame Street and Electric Company on it before I was old enough to go to school; during grade school, I would come home for lunch and watch its face light up with the friendly glow of Underdog; later as a pre-teen, I discovered Doctor Who on its (comparatively) small screen; later on I would spend late Sunday nights watching Monty Python. I took the set with me to college in 1990 and finally gave it away in 2002 and the damn thing still worked like champ. When I bought a new television later that year, it was a Trinitron.

No comments: