05 May, 2009

Lunch at Sofra

Recently I took lunch at Sofra Family Bistro in Middleton which was formerly Bavaria Café. It looks much the same as its predecessor and the menu hasn't changed drastically. There was even some familiar faces amongst the staff.

My friend had Sofra's Bistro Burger with the cabbage salad while I ordered the Chicken Panini, cabbage salad, and a bowl of the chicken dumpling soup. The burger is a mix of lamb and beef which impressed my friend by having a fairly large amount of lamb in it. The soup was quite good, if not exactly teeming with bits of chicken, with the broth a million miles away from tasting like prison base. It could have used more carrot and celery, though.

We both agreed that the cabbage salad was bland and in need of salt and some vinegar tartness. My Chicken Panini was laden with gorgonzola, roasted red peppers, red onion, and artichokes but, as with the salad, it needed a bit of salt. Still, it made for some good noshing. With the iced tea being served in large volume, my friend and I agreed that it was a good meal.

A quick word on the menu. Wiener Schnitzel is available at Sofra's. It is described on the menu as "Pan-fried pork cutlets lightly breaded…" No. Wiener Schnitzel is veal, Schwein Schnitzel is pork.

No comments: